Active Substance: Ketotifen
Package: 30 tabs (1 mg/tab)
How does it work?
Zaditen tablets and elixir contain the active ingredient ketotifen hydrogen fumarate, which is a type of medicine called an antihistamine.
Histamine is a substance produced by the body as part of its defence mechanisms. It is stored in cells called mast cells, in almost all tissues of the body. When the body reacts to a foreign substance (known as an allergen, eg house dust mites, pet fur), the mast cells stimulated by the allergen release their stores of histamine.
The released histamine then binds to its receptors (H-1 receptors), causing a chain reaction that results in allergic symptoms. It causes an increase in blood flow to the area of the allergy, and the release of other chemicals that add to the allergic response.
All this results in the symptoms of an allergic reaction. For example, in hayfever, histamine causes inflammation of the nose, resulting in a runny nose, sneezing and nasal congestion.
Ketotifen is thought to work in a number of ways. It prevents the release of histamine from mast cells and also blocks H1 receptors, so that any histamine that is released is prevented from having an effect.
By blocking the actions of histamine, ketotifen helps prevent your body from reacting to allergens that would normally cause your allergic symptoms, eg hayfever.
What is it used for?
* Allergic conditions such as allergic rhinitis (hayfever) or allergic conjunctivitis
* This medicine should be taken with food.
* This medicine may cause drowsiness. If affected do not drive or operate machinery. Alcohol should be avoided.
Use with caution in
* History of epilepsy
Not to be used in
* This medicine is not recommended for children under three years of age.
This medicine should not be used if you are allergic to one or any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if you have previously experienced such an allergy.If you feel you have experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Certain medicines should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, other medicines may be safely used in pregnancy or breastfeeding providing the benefits to the mother outweigh the risks to the unborn baby. Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy, before using any medicine.
* The safety of this medicine during pregnancy has not been established. It should be avoided during pregnancy. Seek medical advice from your doctor.
* This medicine passes into breast milk. Breastfeeding mothers should therefore either stop breastfeeding while taking this medicine, or not take this medicine. Seek medical advice from your doctor.
* Take this medication with or after food.
* This medication may cause drowsiness. If affected do not drive or operate machinery. Avoid alcoholic drink.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
* Dry mouth
* Weight gain
* Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
* Bladder inflammation, commonly caused by infection (cystitis)
* Inflammation of the liver (hepatitis)
* Isolated severe skin reactions
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Reviews No reviews found
Please log in to write review.